Tailored for TERRA, KineBACK equips the small camera with more options, turning TERRA into a full-featured cine camera with more professional ports. KineBACK features dual 3G-SDI monitoring outputs, dual XLR ports for Phantom-powered 48V MIC, timecode input and output, SYNC, DC Power outputs, all-metal V-mount battery plate with dual D-Tap ports.
Dual 3G-SDI Monitoring
KineBACK automatically supports 3G SDI by both hardware and software. SDI monitoring can work once KineBACK is mounted on TERRA. For SDI monitoring:
- work with HD digital port and KineMON port simultaneously: display with parameters or clean display;
- the displays of SDI and HD digital port, KineMON port are totally the same;
- supports 720p and 1080p output — the same as HD digital port.
SDI function can be turned on or off in the camera setting to save power:
Configuration→SYSTEM→SDI Power: ON/OF
Notice for SDI monitoring output:
- As it’s 720p@60p or 1080p@60p, SDI monitoring is not suitable for external recording;
- 720p@60p and 1080p@60p stand for HD-SDI signal and 3G-SDI signal respectively, you could configure the display resolution by Configuration→LIVE VIEW→Monitoring Video Output: 1080p/720p.
The monitoring signal is set as 720p@60p for better compatibility, as most of SDI monitors only support HD-SDI. 1080p@60p can be applied only when you are sure that your SDI monitor can support 3G-SDI.
Professional Audio Recording: KineAudio
Audio can be recorded by TERRA body:
- In-camera MIC can record audio without any other microphone connected;
- A plug-in-power audio input port is designed for external 3.5mm microphone.
In addition, KineBACK has a recording module – KineAudio (also on KineMAX). KineAudio supports dual balanced MIC-IN with or without 48V. That means the dual XLR ports provide phantom-power 48V to external microphones. The upward XLR ports (standard) are well protected by silicone covers electronically.
The SNR of KineAudio ADC is 110dB, 48KHz 24-bit, which meets the quality of broadcast.
All-Metal V-Mount Battery Plate
SONY V-mount battery plate is the industry standard of broadcast and filmmaking. Since KineMAX, Kine cameras started to integrate V-mount battery plate. In order to match TERRA system to the best, V-mount battery plate is also integrated onto KineBACK.
V-mount battery plate matches the shape of KineBACK/TERRA, which makes it a perfect companion. More importantly, the battery plate is machined by aluminum alloy, which makes it much more reliable than other ABS/plastic plates. It is a great news for cinematographers shooting in harsh environment.
If you want to use Anton-Bauer(golden mount) broadcast battery, a V-mount to Anton-Bauer Plate Adapter is needed as it can be mounted on the V-mount battery plate, then supports Anton-Bauer (golden mount) broadcast battery.
It’s reliable and simple.
Timecode Input and Output
KineBACK also supports timecode input and output. Once mounted on TERRA, KineBACK can output timecode to other equipment such as sound recorders, which means the sound recorder employs the same timecode from TERRA. KineBACK can use timecode from external timecode generator if TERRA is set as timecode slave.
Timecode port is a reliable 5-pin MOCO socket, which can also become BNC ports or timecode ports of other timecode generator like Ambient products if using appropriate Kine Timecode Cords.
KineBACK features two 12V@1A DC outputs, which power external monitors, wireless transmitters and other accessories. It reduces the usage of other external batteries for accessories like LP-E6, NP-F970 and Nikon batteries. It brings you the big convenience to power management of the camera and accessories system.
Power output port is a 4-pin MOCO socket. A power cord is free of charge when shipping KineBACK (output port is a standard DC port).
In addition, there are two standard D-Tap outputs on the top of V-mount battery plate at KineBACK. Note that D-Tap outputs are connected directly to V-mount battery, so the output voltage varies from 11V to 17V, instead of regulated 12V. Like XLR ports, D-Tap ports also have a silicone cover to protect the internal electrical connection.
KineBACK has four branches of DC power output, which satisfy needs of most scenarios.
SYNC (3D/VR Ready)
Due to the lightweight and small form factor, TERRA is perfect to construct 3D system and VR/360° system. 3D/SYNC of TERRA also realize the true synchronization of CMOS sensors as following:
- Timecode SYNC;
- Frame SYNC;
- CMOS sensors SYNC with mismatch less than 5us.
Sync mechanism is realized through SYNC port on KineBACK. In another word, only with KineBACK, TERRA can be hardware-ready for 3D/VR SYNC:
- For 3D system, both TERRA cameras need to be equipped with KineBACK and a SYNC cord connecting the SYNC ports of the two KineBACKs. No extra software option needs to be purchased;
- For a multi-camera sync system (more than two), all TERRA cameras need to be equipped with KineBACK. Besides, you should purchase a KineSYNC device and a few SYNC cords: one KineSYNC device can sync up to eight TERRAs (one master camera and seven slave cameras).
In short, TERRA +KineBack is a simple system ready for 3D/VR shooting.
- KineBACK x1;
- An extra KineBACK cover;
- An extra cover used at the rear of TERRA;
- A power cord with a standard DC port.
KineBACK weighs only 490g, even with an V-mount battery plate made of metal.
Notice: KineBACK can be mounted on TERRA by yourself, but be careful and refer to the instructions from Kinefinity.