KineOS6.0 is the latest firmware for TERRA 4K with the biggest change on UI, also a significant improvement on performance of TERRA 4K. The new firmware provides: compressed RAW (cinemaDNG), in-camera oversampling down to 2K/1080p, open gate mode and 4:3 anamorphic mode.
1. Whole-new Modern UI
UI is the interface between the camera and the cinematographer. Based on physical buttons, KineOS 6.0 is designed with simplified UI system, and facilitate the photographer in operation greatly. The new UI features new layout of key parameters, optimizes the main interface, improves a lot on readability and the configuration menu for easier use and better interaction:
- Interface redesigned: new layout of key parameters, the clip name, timecode, codec format, in accordance with the operation way of the cinematographers or assistants;
- Key Parameters Tuning: with short-cut buttons, you can change key parameters you need quickly and accurately, such as ISO, iris, color temperature, ND stops and so on;
- full Waveform: it is much easier way for cinematographers to check the exposure of the image from left to right;
- New Setup Menu: easy to read and operate: readability much improved.
2. Compressed RAW (CinemaDNG) 3:1/5:1/7:1
This is a test version for compressed RAW(CinemaDNG). The compressed RAW(CinemaDNG) is managed to be implemented in TERRA 4K (NOT TERRA 6K), after MAVO does it. TERRA 4K can record in-camera compressed RAW with CinemaDNG format, and the compression ratio is configurable, from 3:1, 5:1 to 7:1! Da Vinci Resolve natively supports CinemaDNG, so that you can directly import, edit and grade the CinemaDNG footage in Da Vinci Resolve! No matter 3:1, 5:1 or 7:1, every format can provide super high image quality and room for post-production.
- TERRA 4K can in-camera record compressed RAW with CinemaDNG;
- configurable compression ratio: 3:1/5:1/7:1; the bit rate of ratio 7:1 is smaller even than ProRes422, then saves storage of SSD and time for back-up;
- Compressed CinemaDNG is natively supported by Da Vinci Resolve; more convenient for RAW post production.
Note: KineLOG is burned into CinemaDNG, but the color of CinemaDNG is very different from ProRes due to the processing of Da Vinci Resolve.
Note: when play back, CinemaDNG footage is very slow for current firmware. Playback will be improved in future by new firmware.
Note: Since CinemaDNG in Da Vinci Resolve has different workflow compared to ProRes, you can not load the LUT into cinemaDNG footages to restore what you see when shooting.
Oversampling can use all the pixels of the CMOS imaging sensor, and then output 2K/Full HD footages after internal delicate processing. The reduced size is very effective for fast production. For TERRA 4K:
- Oversampling ratio: 2:1 or 3:2;
- when Sub S35, output 4K to 2K by 2:1 Oversampling;
- when Sub M43, output 3K to 2K by 3:2 Oversampling;
- Oversampling works for 4K at any FPS, 4K Wide 100fps can be oversampled to 2K Wide 100fps; anamorphic mode and open gate can also work with oversampling;
- The advanced oversampling tech also permit the higher ISO of TERRA 4K for 2K shooting with lower noise level and better image quality.
4. Anamorphic and Open Gate
Anamorphic was a technical choice for filming, but now an aesthetic preference. As more affordable anamorphic lenses, TERRA 4K and MAVO supporting anamorphic shooting will bring more filmic visual creations.
- TERRA 4K supports 4:3 anamorphic shooting: 3700×2700; with 2x anamorphic lens, the desqueezed resolution is 7400×2700;
- TERRA 4K also supports Open Gate: 4096×2700, all pixels of the CMOS imaging sensor are used effectively, leave maximum room for post processing;
- when anamorphic and open gate modes, frame rate is up to 50.
5. Other improvement and fixed bugs
- Optimized In-camera LUT: more balanced color for fast workflow;
- Added project frame rate: 48, 50, 59.94, 60fps;
- Fixed the abnormal image when start up;
- Fixed freeze issue at some operations;
- Fixed system crash when adjusting ISO under certain color temperature;
- Fixed the mismatch of exposure compensation in menu setting;
- Optimized the highlight performance for TERRA 6K in some special case;
- Optimized black shading of TERRA 4K;
- Change the minimum frame rate of TERRA 4K to 6fps;
- Other bugs.
Stability of this version: Evaluation. Note: After upgrading, strong recommend to remove dead pixel in calibration mode (only for TERRA 4K). Please refer to the following steps.
Download TERRA 4K firmware: Download TERRA 4K KineOS6.0 firmware >
Download TERRA 6K firmware: Download TERRA 6K KineOS6.0 firmware >
Instruction: TERRA firmware upgrading: download firmware to FAT/FAT32 USB stick; insert it to USB port of Kine camera; choose upgrade firmware in Config–>system–>upgrade firmware Menu. The update job is done about ten minutes. It takes effect after reboot.
Note: The firmware upgrading of TERRA takes about 15 minutes, never lose power during the process, else it needs to be sent back for repair.
Note: After upgrading, remove dead pixel under calibration mode (only for TERRA 4K):
- Keep pressing the Configuration button and power on the camera (loose the button when power indicator blinks), then enter into calibration mode;
- Make sure the mount cover or lens cover is on, then remove dead pixel: Config–>System–>Calibrate–>Remove Dead Pixel;
- After the dead pixels are removed, MUST do factory reset: Config–>System–>Factory Reset;
- Power off the camera, and then reboot.
You can shoot with camera now, no need to enter into the calibration mode.