SCRATCH is a state-of-the-art, all-in-one, real-time solution for on-set production through the entire post-production workflow. It integrates a suite of tools that includes data management, dailies, playback, conform, colour grading, versioning, compositing, finishing and mastering for 2D/3D productions.
SCRATCH squeezes every ounce of performance out of your GPUs to provide unbeatable speeds during the entire post process. You will experience a streamlined, efficient, and powerful workflow that increases your productivity and creative ability.
The latest SCRATCH V8.3 supports the KineRAW(.krw) codec, which together offer users the complete Kine + SCRATCH solution, from 4K/6K image capture through full post production.
For purchasing, there are Kine-SCRATCH product bundles, and two options to buy SCRATCH from Kinefinity: a one-year rental license and a permanent license. Special discounts apply for Kine users. Please visit SCRATCH in the online shop for details.
The latest global MSRP of SCRATCH:
- Annual rental: 650 USD;
- Permanent purchase: 3,000 USD.
If you are Kinefinity camera owners, you can get the special price of SCRATCH (over 70% discount OFF) as:
- Annual rental: 199 USD;
- Permanent purchase: 999 USD.
For oversea, Kinefinity camera owners can buy one license at such special price, while Kinefinity camera owners in China can buy up to three licenses at such special price.
Yes, surprise continues, the customers who buy KineMINI or KineMAX 6K from now on,
- Get One SCRATCH (One-year rental) license for FREE;
- Customers can buy SCRATCH at the above special price if they keep using SCRATCH after the first year.
Of course you can! If you bought any one of KineRAW-S35, KineRAW-MINI, KineMINI 4K and KineMAX 6K, you can purchase SCRATCH in special price, also following the same limit on quantity of license.
One-year rental license means that
- You can use SCRATCH for 360 days, after you buy the one-year rental license and activate SCRATCH with this license.
- You can get free update in 360 days (the license is valid).
- You can not use SCRATCH after 360 days of license activation, until you buy another license.
- For Kine users, the special price is still available if they keep using it;
- For non-Kine users, they need to purchase at global MSRP.
Permanent license means that you can use the SCRATCH with specific version when you purchase, always, no time limit.
For software update and maintenance:
- For Kine users, you can have three years free update;
- For non-Kine users, you can have only one year free update.
After the above free update period. You can still use the software, but there is no more free update. If you need to update the software,
- For Kine users, one year update price is 199 USD;
- For non-Kine users, one year update price is 999 USD.
If the previous owner of Kine cameras did not buy the license before he/she sold the camera, the new owner of Kine camera can buy the license.
The process of purchase and installation:
- Choose type of license you want to buy, and place order. Please note your SN of Kine camera if you are owner of Kine cameras;
- We will validate the SN of Kine camera manually;
- You will get the license Key by email;
- Download SCRATCH then activate the software by entering the license Key.
Note: Please email us the MyAssimilate ID if you want to bundle the license key with your MyAssimilate.
SCRATCH does not support USB dongle.
SCRATCH can be installed in different computers, but one license can only activate one computer.
You need to download SCRATCH at Assimilate website: http://www.assimilateinc.com/trials/registration.aspx.
SCRATCH can work on MAC and Windows:
- Windows 7/8 64bits;
- MAC OSX 10.6.6 or above.
- CPU: i7 four-cores, or above;
- GPU: recommend Quadro K5000、K6000 / Firepro W8000、W9000；OSX: NVIDIA 4000, K5000, ATI Radeon 5770 / 5870, FirePro D500 / D700；
- Memory: a minimum of 8GB of RAM;
- SDI: AJA Kona, T-Tap, Io；Bluefish444 Epoch；BlackMagic DeckLink, UltraStudio；NVIDIA Quadro 6000SDI on Windows
Yes. Except KRW, SCRATCH Full resolution support for RED, ARRI, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, BMD, DLSR and all other popular camera and media formats.
Full resolution support for RED, ARRI, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, DLSR and all other popular camera and media formats. Featuring unmatched real-time performance and reliability, SCRATCH removes the risk and frees the filmmaker and DP to get the most from a high-resolution digital shoot.
Real-time full resolution, native playback of all popular camera formats
- Fully ACES compliant
- Kinefinity KineRAW(.krw) codec
- Oculus Rift VR360 file format including Cylindrical, Equi-rectangular, and Cube formats, for output to a secondary monitor, or an Oculus Rift DKI or DKII
- REDCODE RAW.r3d including monochrome footage. Support for multiple RED Rocket cards with DRX control
- RED Dragon
- ARRIRAW including new ASSIMILATE customARRI fast Debayer – built for significant speed while still preserving color accuracy
- Sony F5/F55/F65 including 6K and 8K
- SONY Mpeg-2 .mp4, .mov and XAVC HD/4K .mxf
- Panasonic RAW, P2/MXF and AVCHD
- Canon C500, C300, Magic Lantern (.raw and .mlv), 5D, 7D5D, 7D
- Blackmagic Design Cinema DNG, BMDPocket camera
- Vanguard Video H.264 encoding (Mac and Windows)
- Aaton Penelope
Over 50 additional formats.
Powerful finishing tools
Shot Versioning, SCRATCH CONstruct manage multiple versions of the same 2D or 3D shots within the same timeline for easy comparison.
- Vector paint
- Subtitling support
- Apply OFX plug-ins to create a wide range of visual effects
- Direct Output: Real-time tools for frame-rate conversion, image-resolution scaling and frame-accuracy to monitors, projectors and tape decks using both DVI and SDI interfaces
- Multiple Deliverables: Create alternate versions in different resolutions, image formats and framing, all from a single source
Fast, highly interactive color grading
- Real-time, non-destructive primary and secondary color grading
- Heads-up color grading interface and support for Avid Artist Color panel series or all Tangent panels – including the Element
- Source-side adjustments for mixed color space workflows
- Match and auto grading
- 2D and shape tracking
- Keying based on Vector, Chroma or Luminance
- Controls for finessing keys
- Integrated Histogram, Waveform, Vectorscope and Color Curve views
- Group shots, copy/paste color grades and reference libraries
- Key frames and animation curves
- Import and save 1D and 3D LUTs based on primary color grades
- Support for a shaper LUT inside a cube LUT
High-speed conform and confidence checking
No other software offers the range of tools for quickly conforming and checking against a reference clip.
- Mix-and-match RED.r3d files with ARRIRAW or Phantom (or any other media format recognized by SCRATCH), even Canon DSLR, within the same resolution-independent timeline
- Dual-View, Half-Mix and Side-by-Side comparison options
- Quick Keys for moving through a timeline and edit tools for shot manipulation
- AAF import and MXF integration
- Import and export ALE
- Final Cut Pro XML import
- Final Cut X 1.4 support for conform
- Shot log metadata import
- Metadata search
- Stereoscopic 3D versioning
- CDL support
- Output to multiple file formats such as DNxHD, DPX, ProRes (Mac OS version only) Tiff, JPG, Quicktime, MXF and more
- Export with timecode and metadata
- Multilayer timeline
State of the art metadata and timecode support
Sync timecode from multiple cameras (including stereo) with a unique “Match Timecode” function. Stack cameras into a single slot, then automatically sync the timecode all of cameras to one of them.
- Generate dailies by automatically naming clips based on any metadata field, including camroll, scene and take.
- Create flash burns either at the top and tail of a clip, or throughout its duration.
- Capture scene and take metadata automatically from broadcast wave audio files.
- Automatically generate new timecode for DSLR cameras such as the Phantom, Canon 5D/7D and GoPro that don’t support it. Easily increment the timecode with each slot and even skip by user-defined intervals.
- Populate Avid AAF files with extended metadata, avoiding the double pass to access that ALE files required. This effectively removes the need for separate ALEs.
- Select, update, add or remove metadata in a spreadsheet editor-style. Update metadata for a single shot or multiple shots at once, as well as update data by entering plain text or using formulas that contain other metadata items. New metadata can then be exported via ALE or XML to be imported into other systems or integrated with other proprietary tools.
- Match/find, load and apply looks to multiple shots in the form of 3dl, CDL, LUT or XML, and audio. This new feature will search and match by name, time-code, or any common metadata items. In addition, artists can now auto-link audio files to shots purely based on metadata and file name.
An entirely new, flexible viewing model
Create dual views of any image in a project by quickly and easily selecting a version, a reference, a clip from any video track, or a color buffer.
- Compare them using one of two methods: a difference method, or an overlay method with opacity controls and a 360 degree wipe
- One of the dual views can be designated as an output view (showing the final result of a shot), while the other is a fully functional working canvas with access to even the deepest elements of a shot, including a complex composite or color grade
- Intuitively manipulate any element of the working view and instantly see its resulting affect updated to the output view at full resolution and in real time
Stereo 3D workflow support
Imagine the creativity of a full stereo workflow that provides consistent, intuitive feedback during the conform, color grading and finishing process. Stereo image pairs are automatically linked for versioning and real-time playback to a wide variety of stereoscopic delivery systems.
- Check and adjust stereo with dedicated link and convergence controls
- Bicubic controls for fixing 3D stereo images
- Position elements relative to the screen plane
- Immediately review decisions in stereo
- Panasonic 3D stereo camera support with automatic stream de-muxing
Flexibility and extensibility
Future-proof your workflow with an advanced and scriptable XML back-end that allows you to:
- Automate SCRATCH to maximize productivity
- Access your job anywhere via HTMLIntegrate SCRATCH via XML with other tools in your workflow such as Nuke, Shotgun, Avid or Final Cut Pro
- Enhance SCRATCH with OFX plug-ins such as Sapphire, Beauty Box, Twixtor, and Neat Video
- Built-in SQL database supports a full range of metadata
Advanced audio sync
- Broadcast wave support
- Automatically sync to timecode or slate
- Interactive waveform for sync
- Interactive audio scrub
The new Live View function takes in the SDI signal from a camera and allows artists to work and grade directly on the camera feed. It also reads the camera metadata if available, which is then displayed in the metadata stack in the Player module. In addition, the name of a SCRATCH Gallery item can be based on the metadata of the current shot (e.g. Live View). The determined grade can then be easily linked to the recorded shot further downstream in the pipeline.
SCRATCH v8.0 Selected Tutorials
These tutorials are from Assimilate SCRATCH. And we will also provide KRW workflow with SCRATCH very soon.
1. Get Started SCRATCH v8.0
2. SCRATCH for Resolve Users
3. Full Dailies Workflow
Covers the main topics a DIT should control in order to provide efficient dailies to the offline editing. Those include color adjustments but also metadata management and audio relinking.
4. Creating Apple ProRes dailies on Windows using SCRATCH
create ProRes dailies using the Apple-licensed ProRes encoder in SCRATCH and Lab…..on a Windows machine.
5. SCRATCH and LUTs
This tutorial shows how to load Lookup-tables into different locations within the color pipeline in SCRATCH; also address how to export LUT.
6. Balance a shot
This quick tutorial explains how to neutralize any color dominance that might affect an image.
7. Color Management
Understand how SCRATCH manages the most used color spaces:
Linear/sRGB, Log/Film, Rec709, UHD, XYZ (DCI), ACES, WideGamut, Scene Linear, P3 (DCI) and AdobeRGB.
SCRATCH offers you the flexibility to mix various sources colors spaces within a single project and takes care of all the necessary color transforms up to your deliverables.
8. Consolidate media
This tutorial covers the topics related to consolidating your SCRATCH project such as:
- Isolate Project media
- Copy or move media to new folder
- Ensure all Media in the Project Media folder
Basically you can use the Consolidate function e.g. to move media to a different disk-system, archiving your project or to ensure all media is centralized in a single folder.
9. Anamorphic shots
- how to handle anamorphic footage in SCRATCH.
- how to set the correct aspect for the footage, the CONstruct,
- how to setup file-exports with either an aspect ratio, or square aspect.
- Setting up a dailies project
- Grouping shots
- Comparing grades
- Saving and applying partial grades
- The Film Strip tool
- The Memory banks
- Synchonizing Galleries and User Settings with your MyAssimilate account
11. SCRATCH: LiveGrade
how to export 3D-LUTs from LiveGrade and use the LUT-matching function in SCRATCH to apply them.