Based on active locking mount as EF II series adapters, whole-new EF 3 Mounting Adapter w/ e-ND is designed in accordance with traditional DSLR lens rotation method but have much improvement. Compared to the previous version, EF 3 Mounting Adapter w/ e-ND not only possesses the traditional way to rotate the lens clockwise, but also keeps active locking to fasten the lens, thus the EF lens can be installed quickly and locked clockwise as the PL lens, which is suitable for the utilization of Follow Focus when shooting.
EF 3 Mounting Adapter w/ e-ND features:
- Increase traditional DSLR lens locking method: rotate the lens clockwise until stop;
- Keep cine camera active locking method: lock the lens clockwise until fasten firmly without mobile space;
- Hot-swap: change your lenses while the camera is on; offer extra electric protection;
- Electronic contacts: Support majority of EF lens with Iris control;
- Simple but reliable connection: the new mounting adapter matches KineMOUNT perfectly without any cord;
- Lightweight: it weighs only 200g, but still reliable and robust.
Electronic ND (Electronic Neutral Density Filter) is based on modern liquid crystal materials and optics controlled electronically, which is completely unlike conventional technology such as a rotating filter wheel or polarising ND Filters. The e-ND on MAVO/TERRA brings sharp images with color fidelity but without any drawbacks of traditional variable ND.
Compared to traditional optical glasses, electronic ND (Electronic Neutral Filter) gains a lot of advantages: eliminating the ND filters at the front of lenses; adjust the exposure seamlessly over a very wide range; keep MAVO/TERRA and your gear into a more compact and lightweight set when ND needed. The e-ND developed by Kinefinity also is available on PL Type.
So far, there are three types of EF mounting adapters for different scenarioes:
- Regular EF mounting adapter without any glass or filters: Clear, 0 stop;
- New EF mounting adapter with e-ND in this page: 0.6~2.1, 2~7 stops;
- EF mounting adapter with KineEnhancer: 0.72 focal reducer, extra 1 stop for max iris.
For bundle of regular EF mounting adapter and EF mounting adapter with e-ND, you will get US$100 discount off. Compared to NiSi ND filters pro package, it even costs less, while gains much more features.
Bring Optics and Electronic into One
The Mounting adapter with Built-in Electronic ND (e-ND) employs high-precision hybrid of liquid crystal material, optics and electronic technology. It covers the widest range from 0.6 to 2.1(2 stops to 7 stops).
At the same time, it remains consistent color accuracy over such wide range when working with MAVO/TERRA.
Integrate e-ND into mounting adapter, it means no optical ND filter needed in front of lenses, therefore no need of filter holder or even matte box, which reduces loads of shooting system greatly: more compact and lightweight, and also smoother operating. So it is very good for one-man band, documentary shots, shooting at harsh environments, like North and South Polar areas.
Mounting adapter with e-ND keeps MAVO/TERRA lightweight and compact, again.
At the same time, the cine-style mounting adapter has electronic contacts to control EF lenses aperture by wheel on camera or SideGrip.
Color Accuracy over Whole Range
More importantly, MAVO/TERRA can sense the e-ND and calibrate it over potential minor color shift automatically, as soon as the mounting adapter with e-ND being attached to MAVO/TERRA. Then no matter monitoring or recorded footages, MAVO/TERRA can always maintain color accuracy over the whole tuning range from 0.6 to 2.1.
For optical ND or other glass ND, camera can not detect or get any information from ND glass, and there is no way for the camera to calibrate color shift that ND introduces. However, for mounting adapter with e-ND, MAVO/TERRA can detect the e-ND automatically, and get the status of e-ND on every slight adjustment operation on e-ND, and then calibrate any potential minor color shift based on the data received. Don’t worry about the color effect when using e-ND on MAVO/TERRA, let cinematographers focus on shooting.
Continuous Adjustment over Range of 0.6~2.1
E-ND developed by Kinefinity is built on high-precision hybrid of liquid crystal material, optics and electronic control system. It covers such wide range from 0.6 to 2.1 (2 stops to 7 stops), you can use the single e-ND for shooting even in Polar areas. Smoothly and seamlessly changing the filter density is realized by wheel on MAVO/TERRA and internal firmware, no need any extra power supply or mechanical devices.
Compared to optical glasses like NiSi cine IRND filters, it needs 0.6(2 stops), 0.9(3 stops), 1.2(2 stops), 1.5(5 stops), 1.8(6 stops), 2.1(7 stops) total six glass filters. The cost and storage cost would be fairly high. Of course, you may need to add multiple glasses to get more stops.
Seamless adjustment brings an very important feature: accurate exposure stop, this is what traditional glass ND filters don’t have, and MAVO/TERRA could get best dynamic range, depth of field while remaining ISO, shutter speed and lens iris unchanged.
It takes much less time but reduces error on trial to get right exposure, because no need to replace optical glasses manually piece by piece.
Attention: Power down camera when swapping different adapters, else camera or adapters may be burned.
How to Attach/detach the EF lens to the EF 3 mount?
Steps of attaching EF lens to new EF 3 mount as following:
- Unlock: Rotate locking ring of EF 3 mount counter-clockwise till stop; (Take off all the caps or covers from camera and lens mount;);
- Install EF lens: Align red dot on lens, white line on locking ring and dot on mount. And make sure that the pin on mount matches the hole of lens; rotate EF lens clockwise till release button up;
- Lock: Rotate locking ring of EF 3 mount clockwise as the arrow direction until fastened firmly.
Steps of detaching EF lens from new EF 3 mount:
- Unlock: Rotate locking ring of EF 3 mount counter-clockwise till stop;
- Detach EF lens: Fully press the release button on the right side of EF 3 mount and rotate EF lens counter-clockwise.
- For mounting adapter with e-ND, it can not be set to Clear, so you need to have a regular mounting adapter for low-light conditions or in-door case.
- For mounting adapter with e-ND, when shooting on some very special liquid crystal materials, the image may show some inevitable color shift;
- The surface of e-ND is AR-coated glass. You could clean it with much care. Any glass damage or scratches are out of warranty.